Gratitude Month

I've been told (post arriving here) that there are certain milestones where things will feel hard for all expats anywhere.  I believe they are at 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, and 1 year.  I feel like I've transitioned really well, but there are things that have happened at those markers so far that have caused things to spiral.

At 1 month, Stephen went on a business trip to the US and everything broke.  By everything, I mean everything:  the dishwasher, the internet, J, it all broke.  When I blew the circuits in the house, I ended up in a ball at the foot of the stairs, in the dark, sobbing uncontrollably.

At 3 months, I've been hit with a family issue that I won't be going into.  Let's just say that I've been riding a roller coaster of emotions for all of November.  I'm honestly handling things fine for the most part, but every now and then, I start crying uncontrollably.  Seriously, one Friday I had to step out of church because I couldn't stop crying.  I thought I was doing better, came back in, cried through the next 2 songs.


But Thanksgiving Day is in November, and I am truly grateful for many things.  Here is a daily list (In all honesty, I had to backtrack because this idea came to me on the 15th.  But, I keep a line a day journal that I have been doing regularly, so that helped to jog my memory about what happened this month.):

  1. I'm thankful for my boys' school, British School Muscat.
  2. I'm thankful for the ability to communicate with friends and family back home.
  3. I'm thankful for the fellowship of our home group.
  4. I'm thankful for the time I get to talk to the boys while we walk to and from school.
  5. I'm thankful for new curtains to block out the early morning light from my bedroom.
  6. I'm thankful that Stephen can work from home.
  7. I'm thankful for my Bible Study Fellowship group.
  8. I'm thankful for sidewalks to allow for walking places.
  9. I'm thankful for Stephen and all the ways he puts up with me.
  10. I'm thankful for the way that Stephen interacts with the boys.
  11. I'm thankful for my boys and the unique qualities that God gave to each of them.
  12. I'm thankful for a new used book shop in the Avenues Mall.
  13. I'm thankful for nap time.
  14. I'm thankful for the Protestant Church Oman, our church home here. 
  15. I'm thankful for my new friends with all our crazy, camaraderie, and love.
  16. I'm thankful for the opportunity to serve at PCO on the visuals team.
  17. I'm thankful for Saturdays and family time.
  18. I'm thankful to be living in a safe country. 
  19. I'm thankful that my boys enjoy school.
  20. I'm thankful for new hiking adventures.
  21. I'm thankful for family time and family friendly movies.
  22. I'm thankful for warm weather on this Thanksgiving Day.
  23. I'm thankful for Thanksgiving dinner.
  24. I'm thankful for Jesus and the Christmas season coming up to celebrate his birth. 
  25. I'm thankful for the health of our family here in Oman.
  26. I'm thankful for the mountains around us. 
  27. I'm thankful for a church with children's programs and Awanas workers.
  28. I'm thankful for finding Christmas ornaments here in Oman.
  29. I'm thankful for the social circle around me.
  30. I'm thankful for the opportunity to head home and Stephen's willingness to hold down the fort.

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 2020

July took a number of turns on us, some that we expected and some that we didn't. It started with flights home being cancelled.  This wa...