Bircher Muesli

Bircher Muesli is a Swiss breakfast dish, I believe.  We discovered it on the breakfast buffet line of our hotel in Dubai.  It was a hit with my youngest son, and therefore a recipe that needed to be recreated.

I found a recipe on Pinterest via Alexandra Cooks.  This was my starting point, though I did change it some to fit my morning time constraints and products that I have on hand.  I make this in bulk and store in a sealed container.  It is important to note that this recipe should sit and soak for a bit so that the chia seeds can do their thing and plump up.  I prepare it approximately 15 minutes before the boys get up so that it is ready to eat as soon as they are downstairs.  And by they, I mean just J.  I'm not even sure E has tried it.
Bircher Muesli mixed and plumped.  This version had peanuts.  Side note:  This stuff isn't beautiful to photograph.

Ingredients:
Bulk mix:

  • 5 cups oats
  • 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 2 cups chopped nuts (we have used almonds, peanuts, and walnuts)
  • 1/2 cup ground flax seed
  • 20 dates, pits removed and diced
  • 1/2 cup chia seeds
  • 1 cup raisins
Instructions:
  1. Mix all above ingredients together in a sealed container.  Feel free to seal tightly and shake up to mix.  Be careful that the lid doesn't fly off (speaking from experience here).
  2. For a serving, combine 1/2 cup mix, 1/3 cup milk, and 1/4 cup plain yogurt.  Stir and let sit for approximately 15 minutes.
Bircher Muesli before it plumps.  It will look pretty milk-logged.
Note:  I estimate 1/3 cup milk by just filling my 1/2 cup scoop not all the way.  To get 1/4 cup yogurt, I do 2 large dollops with the spoon that I later use to mix.  I'm a firm believer in Lorelai Gilmore's proclamation, "Who's cleaning that?".

July 2020

July took a number of turns on us, some that we expected and some that we didn't. It started with flights home being cancelled.  This wa...