Tomato Bisque

This tomato bisque is my favorite soup!  This coming from the girl who despised tomato soup growing up.  This coming from the girl who used to hate tomato anything.  I add beef for protein and noodles for kid friendliness.  Feel free to drop the noodles to make it grain free.
My tummy tomato bisque being served up with Nessy.  There are many options for Nessy on Amazon.
Makes approximately 8 servings depending upon how big of a bowl you prefer. 😉  Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.

Ingredients

  • 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce*
  • 1 15 oz. can tomatoes (whole, crushed, or diced)**
  • 2 cups broth (vegetable, chicken, or beef)
  • 2 cups milk of choice
  • 2 cups half and half (or double cream as some know it)
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch

Instructions

  1. In a Dutch oven or large pot, combine all ingredients.
  2. Heat through, stirring frequently.  
    Let the soup simmer nicely.
  3. If using whole tomatoes, break them up to desired size.
  4. Add any additional ingredients of choice such as ground beef, noodles, tortellini, or Parmesan cheese.***
Yummy!  Tomato bisque with beef.
Tomato bisque with beef and noodles.

Notes

*I cannot get tomato sauce over here, so I use a small can of tomato paste and 8 oz. of water.
**I like the chunks of tomatoes in my soup.  If you do not, feel free to use another can of tomato sauce.
***I cook my ground beef in my pot before adding my soup ingredients.  And I have gotten to the point where I add my noodles to the serving bowls and pour the soup on top so that they don't get soggy in my leftover soup.  If you will be serving all the soup up the first night, then this would be an unnecessary step.  My kids preferred the tortellini, but it is quite expensive here in Oman.
Optional step of serving up the noodles separate from the soup.  Special thanks to my pastasaurus helper and my Texas shaped cutting board.

July 2020

July took a number of turns on us, some that we expected and some that we didn't. It started with flights home being cancelled.  This wa...