Settled Yet Not

Have you ever tried to move into a house without your furniture?  Let’s just say, it doesn’t feel like your house.  I know it will take time to feel like your home, but it doesn’t even feel like a house.  It feels like a hotel, maybe?  For probably 2 weeks, we will have no couches, no TVs, and none of our beds.  Stephen bought a guest bedroom bed for us and a futon for the boys, so we do have places to sleep.  A table and chairs were delivered on day 3, so we could stop eating dinners on the floor.  

Playing under the stairs
We bought a pan and this thing here that is a flat pan so we can do some cooking.  We never did see a spatula, so we have been stirring and flipping with a plastic fork and knife.  We bought 2 bath rugs because this house has 5 bathrooms so we knew we wouldn’t have enough coming from our 2 bathroom house.  We bought a kitchen trash can and 2 bathroom trash cans.  Yes, we dealt with no trash cans for a couple of days.  That was as long as I could stand it.  We do need to buy curtains.  The sun comes up around 5:30 am here.  I feel like we are not quite on the right time zone, but that would be an outsiders perspective.


I’m getting used to making ice cubes and re-stocking our ice cups.  I’m getting used to keeping water in the fridge so it is cold.  I’m figuring out which lights to turn on and not.  Who am I kidding?  No I’m not!  There are about a million switches in this place.  

Kitchen switches:  Lights, dimmer, stove, oven, water, A/C, and many unknowns.
All I’ve really learned is to switch on the middle switch for the bathrooms.  One of the end ones will be the fan which isn’t always needed.  I am starting to get used to the switches being opposite of what I expect.  You push up to turn the lights off.  I only get confused if two of three are turned on.  For some reason, this confuses me.

No idea how we’re going to hang anything once the time comes because all the walls are concrete.  I’m starting to look for 3m hooks, but I haven’t seen ones large enough for a curtain rod yet.  No idea how to get to most places, though I can walk to the boys’ school and a local grocery store.  No idea when we will have internet.  With internet, I can figure out things like where coffee meetings are, get TV and movies for the boys, and start settling down to everyday life in lots of little ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 2020

July took a number of turns on us, some that we expected and some that we didn't. It started with flights home being cancelled.  This wa...