Choose the Bigger Life


"Choose the bigger life."

I love Gretchen Rubin.  She is an author, blogger, and podcaster that I read and listen to often.  She wrote The Four Tendencies and TheHappiness Project as well as other books.  The two I listed are the two I've gotten my hands on to read.  I also have her coloring book (though I'm currently trying to remember where I put it in unpacking).  She co-hosts a podcast called Happier with Gretchen Rubin with her sister, Liz.  She has been a source of knowledge, ideas, and insights for me over the past two years since my mom’s best friend, Kelly, introduced me to her podcasts.


She is full of helpful insights and quick thoughts that I find myself able to repeat throughout the day.  Recently on a podcast, she shared her saying, "choose the bigger life" when a listener had asked questions about changing jobs.  It first reminded me of a dear friend who had asked a similar question just days before on Facebook.  Then it made me think of my own situation.  I could have chosen fear and stayed where I was, but there is a great big world that God created.  I choose to see it.  I choose the bigger life I’m giving to my kids.  I choose to be fearless.

Other favorite sayings of hers (some of which are part of her secrets of adulthood):
"The days are long, but the years are short."
"What you do every day matters more than what you do once in a while."
"The things that go wrong often make the best memories."
"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good."
"Outer order contributes to inner calm."
"You manage what you measure."
"By doing a little bit each day, you can get a lot accomplished."
"People don't notice your mistakes and flaws as much as you think."
"Turning the computer on and off a few times often fixes a glitch."
"It's okay to ask for help."
"Yes comes right away.  No never comes." - okay, this is actually from her sister, Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 2020

July took a number of turns on us, some that we expected and some that we didn't. It started with flights home being cancelled.  This wa...