Throwback Thursday: Labor Day 2017


Labor Day weekend was this past weekend in the US.  It was nothing to be noted here.  In fact, our kids started school the day before.  So while friends at home took trips to lakes, we spent two days in school.  Honestly, the kids loved it.  To each his own.

But since it was Labor Day weekend, I’ve seen pop-ups and reminders on my devices of how I spent last Labor Day weekend.  Nearly my entire family met in Wewoka, Oklahoma to celebrate the 60th wedding anniversary of my grandparents.  Not everyone stayed the whole weekend, but we did get to see many people.  There were cousins, aunts, uncles, great aunts, and great uncles.  We took the kids on a hike to find fossils, we had a spades tournament, we held a reception at their church, we talked, and we played many impromptu games of Rook.
Grandma and Pa opening their photo book.
A snapshot of the chaos family time.
It was a fun, busy weekend; but that doesn’t mean that it wasn’t without its challenges.  My grandparents had bought the house next door shortly before our weekend.  This meant we had even more rooms to use, but we are a large family!  I made a spreadsheet of where everyone would sleep only to find out that I needed to change it because these people would only be there these days, these people may not stay overnight at all, etc.  In the end, the sleeping arrangements were somewhat ignored.  The hike took too long and took up spades tournament time.  We all ended up with ticks after the hike.  My sister and I even got into a huge argument during the tournament which ended in the game ending and me walking by myself to the church to begin setting up.

But looking back, it was fun to sit and catch up while kids played somewhere else.  The kids enjoyed cousin time with extended cousins they don’t see much.  Some of us took a Pokémon walk down the street to a local church for a raid battle (we lost).  The hike and fossils really were cool.  I saw some of my uncle’s old stomping grounds, which was a fund glimpse into his past.  The food was yummy and plentiful.  Some of the men played basketball with some local kids and sent them home with some of the extra food.  We took other extra food to some local senior citizens since the senior center wouldn’t be open the next day.  Playing cards is always a good time. 

My grandparents didn't want gifts, but I made a photo book for them of “All because two people fell in love."  It had pictures of all the family members that are here today because of my grandparents.  It was a fun project of love that I couldn’t have completed without everyone’s help in sending me pictures to use.  If you're interested in doing a similar project, I use Shutterfly to create my photo books.  Their site is easy to use, and they always have discount codes.  I usually only pay shipping (which can be high), but I have paid absolutely nothing before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 2020

July took a number of turns on us, some that we expected and some that we didn't. It started with flights home being cancelled.  This wa...