Finding Friends

I’ve been looking forward to the kids go to school so I could settle into a routine for myself.  I could possibly reach out to some people for coffee.  I could watch a show for myself rather than listening to Ninjago.  I could workout without worrying the kids will interrupt my rhythm.

Well, I haven’t settled into a routine.  I have met people for coffee.  I finally watched a new show on Netflix today (while folding laundry, so I was still “working” ha!).  I’ve worked out twice (admittedly, I took today as a rest day).

Two mornings I have met local American moms for coffee.  It has been great getting to know ladies, picking their brains, and learning some ins and outs of the area.  We have a WhatsApp group called BSM moms (not mums).  I love the name.  We have one lady from Alaska, one lady from Honduras who has spent a good part of her life in the US, a couple of ladies from Houston, one lady from Louisiana, and a couple that I’m realizing now I have no idea what their background is.  I’m learning how everyone likes to work out.  I’ve learned my area is called MQ not MSQ.  I’m learning (and have forgotten) where to go to buy certain items and which stores are best for which items.  I’m learning about churches in the area as well as Bible studies and Awanas.  I’m hearing about places to go locally for family or kid fun.  I’m learning how to order things and get them delivered because there is no local delivery here.  I’m learning more about some of the other local schools.


One morning I ran our stairs for 30 minutes after coffee time.  I needed to hold the handrail occasionally after 18 times all the way up.  I was hoping I was done at 26 times all the way up.  I did 37 trips total.  After finishing up the stairs, some sit-ups, and some push-ups, I received a request from a mom to join her for a CrossFit workout the next morning.  So the next morning, we met at 9am at 2307 CrossFit.  I’ve never done CrossFit before.  I was the only newbie in the class.  I finished everything, but I couldn’t use very heavy weights.  We did many snatches, squats, and other moves I can’t remember.  I left feeling grateful that my walk home was downhill.  After rehydrating with water, I wondered how I was going to make it up the stairs to take a shower.  A day later, I’m still extremely sore across my shoulders and legs.  Tomorrow I’ll work out, but today I turned down the offer to join some of the ladies for the CrossFit workout today.  I was so exhausted yesterday that I napped and still didn’t have the energy to do anything.  I’m just not sure it’s for me.  But I’m also torn because the coffee ladies this morning were discussing asking the CrossFit center for an earlier class for all of us to join.  So I hate to miss out on the group experience.  Decisions, decisions.

Yesterday afternoon, the boys and I met one lady and her boys at the American Club (which is conveniently located a short walk from our house) to go swimming.  We swam for 2 hours with the pool all to ourselves.  We then played in the park for just a few minutes so we could check it out.  As soon as our badges are ready, the boys and I may be there (for shorter swims) many days after school.  It’s also a great place for a play date because I don’t have to worry about how clean my house is.  It was great to see my kids making friends, and I had a grand opportunity to ask all the questions that came to mind.
Playing tag with a soccer ball.
Checking out the playground equipment.
Today another lady (that I really first had a chance to talk to this morning at coffee) invited our family over to her house on Friday for a barbecue.  I’m really looking forward to a family outing to meet another family.  I hope some day I am as open and inviting to new families as these ladies have been to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 2020

July took a number of turns on us, some that we expected and some that we didn't. It started with flights home being cancelled.  This wa...