Christmas 2018

This was our first Christmas in Oman, our first Christmas to stay home, and our first Christmas on a beach.  It was different, it was fun, and it didn't make me homesick as I expected.  Maybe the exhaustion from cleaning up new toys and wrapping paper trash just distracted me.  hmmm...

It started early as Christmases with young kids do.  We postponed until 7:30 am, then got up to open stockings and unwrap presents to each other.  After that, Stephen went running while I ran up and down the stairs in our house.  It's been a while since I've done that exercise.  I should incorporate it into my routine once a week.
The boys opening their stockings from Santa.
Stephen and his stocking from Santa.
Opening my stocking from Santa.
E with his favorite gift from us: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Legos.
J wigging out in excitement over his favorite gift from us: Ninjago Legos.
Before lunch, we had the boys change to go swimming at the Oasis Club.  They both wanted to go swimming, but they didn't last long in the cold water.  I think I've convinced them to hold off on swim time until March, at least.  Since the pool is covered (great for summer!), it just won't get warm enough until it gets hot again.  After we walked home, we got slightly dressed up for lunch at Kargeen.  They had a delightful mix of British Christmas foods and Arabic foods.  Everything was really delicious.  I especially enjoyed the Beef Wellington and Mandi Laban.  Luckily, the desserts didn't appeal to me all that much.  I had a bite of this or that, but I didn't finish any of it.  They even had a Santa come around and hand out presents.  They boys received colored pencils and triangle crayons.  My artistic son was pretty excited.
Swim time before lunch.  Only the boys got in.
The beautiful buffet at Kargeen
This was our first time eating inside at Kargeen.  The area is nice and comfortable, but I did hit my head on the tiny door frame between our room and the buffet line.
J getting a gift from Santa.  Santa was accompanied by music and chanting from the men in the background.
After recovering from our food comas, we headed to the beach.  I received a stand-up paddleboard (SUP) as an early Christmas present from my parents back in May.  Unfortunately, we apparently threw away the pressure gauge and valve.  From what I have read, it is easy to do because of how it is packaged.  One would think the company should realize that common problem and fix it, but alas, I've been stuck with a useless SUP since we moved.  Well, for Christmas, my dad ordered me a bunch of valves to test out.  We got the board pumped up and hit the water.  Unfortunately, we need to work on getting the board just a bit firmer and wait until the water is calmer.  It was rough, and neither of us adults could stand on the SUP.  But, it was still a fun afternoon at the beach.

E coming in from his ride on the SUP.  We had never been at the beach at such a low tide before.  This was half way to the water.
Ready to head out on my SUP!
J had a lot of fun digging a hole.  I personally love this picture for how Stephen was deflating the boat in the background.
After coming home, we waited until an appropriate time to call Stephen's parents on their Christmas morning.  Later, we had a late, very light, dinner of red velvet pancakes then called my parents to open presents while talking to them.  Calling parents on Christmas isn't that unusual for us because we always have one set of parents to call.  Arranging times to call both and not making the call until the evening time was different.
Dinner of Christmas shaped red velvet pancakes.  These shapes turned out better than some.
Really, it was a wonderful Christmas.  The boys were able to play with their Legos right away (we always say, "No!" as I envision Legos everywhere and missing pieces when there are so many other little kids running around).  The weather was beautiful!  The boys love going to the beach, riding in their boat, and digging in the sand.

Of course it was different, but new normals are okay, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 2020

July took a number of turns on us, some that we expected and some that we didn't. It started with flights home being cancelled.  This wa...