The Beauty of Protestant Church Oman

Protestant Church Oman (PCO) is an imperfect church.  It is filled with people who sin... daily.  It is even led by imperfect sinners.  And yet, I am also a sinner.
From my seat at the back running the computer, I can see all the various people and cultural styles.  It's hard to capture it in a photo, though.
If I were in the States, I probably wouldn't choose PCO.  It would be a mistake.  I wouldn't choose it mainly because it's not a Baptist church, and my beliefs do line up with Baptists.  I'm also not a fan of responsive readings.  I don't get it.  It doesn't add anything to my worship experience.  In fact, it occasionally detracts when I'm distracted by thinking about why I don't want to say, "I believe in the holy catholic Church."  And yet, PCO is where we choose to spend our Friday mornings.  I'm learning the flow of the service.  I appreciate the Bible readings and the designated intercessory prayer time (most of the time).


I don't always care for the music choices.  It is not always my style.  There are a few different worship leaders, and their music choices vary.  I do have my favorites, no, I will not tell you who.  The music choices occasionally gets a little cultural, and that culture just isn't my culture.  And yet, worshipping at PCO feels like the closest thing I will experience to what it will look like to have all the people of earth worshipping one God in Heaven.  I go because to be surrounded by believers of all different cultures and native tongues is a moving experience.

I go to be led and hear God's word.  I go because the mix of 3 (soon to be just 2) pastors from different backgrounds preach God's word weekly in the way that God has gifted them.  One utilizes PowerPoint, one digs deep in theology, and one does a good job of giving the historical background of the passage.  I go because hearing God's word from someone who isn't Baptist and who may not be American challenges my cultural and theological assumptions.

I go because we, as Christians, are called to be a part of a community and fellowship with other believers.  I go because God has equipped me to serve, and I will not waste his gifts.  This means that I serve once a month (imagine that, they only need my help once a month) running the computer during the service.

I go because Bible studies aren't enough and book studies don't even come close.  I go because my kids need interactions on their level as provided by Friday school.  I go to be an example to my kids of getting up early, of making church a priority, of putting the good of the whole above my own needs.

I go to grow closer to God.

July 2020

July took a number of turns on us, some that we expected and some that we didn't. It started with flights home being cancelled.  This wa...