Family Verse

I have decided that our family needs a family verse, and this is what it is:
Philippians 2:14
I have heard that moving abroad can magnify any problems, and it is so true.  Little nagging before between the boys intensified.  Little things that bugged me grow and intensify.  Not sure how Stephen needs to apply this verse because, as he has said before, "his emotional depth is a puddle."  That man is a saint.  I look at him and often think, "How do you put up with me?"


I picked this particular translation (NIV) for the word grumbling.  There is so much grumbling some days!  Whether it is J's verbal "grrr" or complaints about dinner or my internal grumbling (let's be honest, this is probably a bigger problem than I let on), grumbling has been running rampant.  The boys have also started arguing more.  They can be lovely and playing together or agreeing on things or trading turns for making choices one second to whining each other's name the next.  If you have a kid that says a sibling's name in a way that affects you like nails on a chalkboard, then you know what I'm talking about.

This verse has now been written out and taped to bathroom mirrors.  I ask the boys what our family verse is from time to time when things are going well.  When arguing starts, I ask if they remember our verse.  Then I ask if they should be arguing.  Okay, I've done that once, but it did seem to pull the boys out of the argument long enough to diffuse the situation.

Now to ask myself the same questions when I start my own version of grumbling.  Mine is all in my head.  Mine happened this morning.  Once I got out of my own way, gave myself a timeout, I did feel a bit better.  But that was after ruining my own morning.

Do you have a family verse?  I'm thinking they can change with time.  I'm hoping we only need this for a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 2020

July took a number of turns on us, some that we expected and some that we didn't. It started with flights home being cancelled.  This wa...