Dar al Herfya

Today I am sharing about my favorite local place to shop.  Dar al Herfya is a shop here in MQ as well as in the airport.  They aim to bring Omani crafts to the world, and they support local families and communities through their sales.  You can check out their website to read more about their mission.

I had wanted to check them out for a while, but I finally got around to it when my parents were here visiting in March.  At the time, they were in this quirky little building in between al Noor Plaza (Costa) and al Madina Plaza (Starbucks).  They have since moved upstairs in al Madina because they will be tearing down their building to make more parking (my guess is their store will supply about 4 parking spots, maybe).  But their current location is just temporary because they are planning on moving into the new mall opening behind Costa (if it is ever finished).

The current location is small.  I was told when my parents were here that the airport location is larger with a better selection and the same prices.  I'm hoping to check out that location when I head home soon.  I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to bring back some more frankincense anyways.

At the local shop I have found at times (and at other times I have not found) such treasures as kanjars, frankincense, frankincense burners, other various frankincense products, woven bookmarks, clay water bottles, pottery, various silver works, and camel bone items.  I wish I could show you pictures of things that I have bought, but some are gifts that have not been handed out yet.  Others are gifts that I forgot to take pictures of before I handed them out.  Below is a camel bone keychain I bought for myself.  I absolutely love it!  I also love that someone is utilizing the whole camel in this way.
Camel bone keychain in the shape of a kanjar
So if you live in Muscat, give Dar al Herfya a look for gifts to take home to family and friends.  If you are visiting Muscat, check them out for authentic souvenirs.  Many of the items I have purchased have cost around 5 OMR (~$13).

July 2020

July took a number of turns on us, some that we expected and some that we didn't. It started with flights home being cancelled.  This wa...