Foodie Friday: Crepe Cafe

I love crepes!  They are probably one of the reasons I gained weight my summer in France.  Doener Kebabs and pain au chocolate can also shoulder some blame.  Basically, street food was our jam while we were backpacking.  And a simple nutella crepe while walking around was heaven.

When the boys and I were moving to Muscat, we had a long (long, long, long) layover in the Abu Dhabi airport.  They had a crepe restaurant where we decided to eat lunch.  I was so excited to introduce my boys to crepes.  They were expensive (hello, they were in the airport), but they would also be expensed to the company.  I full intended to order savory crepes then split a dessert crepe (the dessert crepe on my dime, though).  We ordered an egg and cheese crepe and some type of chicken crepe.  They were so good and ridiculously filling.  We couldn't finish them, so we certainly weren't ordering a dessert crepe.

It was all good because Stephen had told me that there were Crepe Cafes in Muscat.  I know of 3:  one in Oasis by the Sea in Shatti, one in the Wave, and one in Ghubra near the Oxy building.  There are other crepe restaurants, too.  There is Crepe & Wrap, Omani Crepe, and Yummy Belgian Waffle & Crepe.  You can even order crepes at some restaurants such as Kargeen.  I have only tried Crepe Cafe and Kargeen so far.

I have to say, I really want to like Crepe Cafe more than I do.  Their sweet crepes are excellent, and they have a wide selection.  But we have tried to go for savory crepes twice now, and I'm just not impressed.  I tend to feel like they were a waste of a meal.  Those savory crepes in the Abu Dhabi airport were so much better.  Not to mention that Crepe Cafe is rather expensive for what it is.  They charge a whole rial for a water.  That's $2.60 for a regular size bottle of water.  I can get a big bottle for my family to share at most restaurants.  And it's not even a fancy brand like they serve at Slider Station.  Nope, it is your normal run of the mill water at an exorbitant price.  They get away with it (at Shatti, at least) because that is a tourist area.
It's been so long, I don't remember which crepes we ordered.  This was a savory option.
A dessert crepe covered in chocolate with ice cream and whipped cream.
A dessert crepe with strawberries
A savory "crepe" pasta dish.  The "noodles" are the crepes.
To sum, I'll take my kids there if they choose it for a one on one date night, but I'm not going back on my choice.  I don't eat sweets or breads any more, so what am I supposed to eat there?  Maybe I'll get a coffee and watch the sunset.
The Shatti Crepe Cafe is right on the beach. 

July 2020

July took a number of turns on us, some that we expected and some that we didn't. It started with flights home being cancelled.  This wa...