Touching in Oman

I'm sure I've touched on the fact that men and women are not to show public displays of affection over here in the Middle East.  This means that Stephen and I don't hold hands while walking.  We almost never hug unless it's a quick hug at the airport.  We certainly would never kiss in public.  Please keep this in mind so you're not the couple that Stephen saw in the Doha, Qatar airport making out.  It's highly inappropriate over here.

I've often thought this isn't good for someone like me who is already averse to touching.  I scored a 2/12 for my physical touch score in The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman.  It was my lowest by a lot.  I worry that I will get too used to not touching.  Will this become our new normal?  Will it be okay as our new normal?  Or will it really even change anything since I was so terrible at touching before.  I used to muse over how little our dates probably looked like dates to people on the outside.


But there's no point in worrying over it.  It's too hot here to walk and hold hands.  Imagine the sweat!  We still walk and talk at night in the dark.  Talking about our days and dreams and plans brings us closer together emotionally and for the long run than just holding hands.  But maybe that's my quality time love coming out.

On the flip side, men hold hands with men and women hug and cheek kiss women.  In fact, the expat community is pretty touchy.  We hug a lot.  When I imagine seeing people back home at the end of this week, I imagine greeting them with a hug.  Many of you I may never have hugged before.  Sorry. I'll try to restrain myself.  Hugging friends is definitely becoming normal to me now.  But not the cheek kisses.  I don't know who does one and who does two.  I will stand there and let you do your thing, but just know I have no idea what's going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 2020

July took a number of turns on us, some that we expected and some that we didn't. It started with flights home being cancelled.  This wa...